Wednesday, May 15, 2013

SHELF UPCYCLE WITH MAPS

I love this upcycle so much! I snagged these shelves at a dumpster outside of the dorms at my university. People are unbelievable when it comes to throwing things out! Many of them live out of state and have to fly or drive home so they have no choice but to throw out lots of stuff. My sister once found a down comforter and an Ipod dock in the dumpster at her school!
So anyways I grabbed these and wanted to wait to figure out what to do with them. Since school has ended I've also been trying to clean out my closet and came across a bunch of old maps! So I came up with this idea for these shelves and it fits my bathroom perfectly! Check out another DIY project that amy did with maps!

Here is the before and an after!
 
 
 SUPPLIES:
 Mod Podge, Maps, Exacto-Knife

DIRECTIONS:
1. Peel off any paper existing on the shelves, where you are going to lay the maps. If you want to paint the shelves any other color, do that now as well.
2. Figure out what area of the map you want to use. Cut the map into a smaller section so it is easier to manage, but not as small as your shelf size.
3. Put your map into the shelf and press into the corners to make creases. Run your exacto knife along the edges.
4. Put a very thin layer of Mod Podge on the shelf, then put your map section on. Use a heavy object to try to get any bubbles out. Let dry.
5. Put another layer of Mod Podge over the top of the map to seal it up!

-Jerica-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!